Cannot visit Reddit through Tor Browser since most recent update

• Operating System you are using: Windows 11
  • Tor Browser version: 11.5.7
  • Tor Browser Security Level: Standard

When I start Tor browser, it connects just fine. I can visit all websites that I’ve checked other than Reddit.

Reddit gives me a 504 Gateway Time-out (nginx)

I can visit it, but very slowly and not fully loaded through onion but once I’m connected via onion, I cannot do much. I cannot upload videos or anything in a post.

I have gone back and tried the two last versions and I still can’t visit Reddit without Onion and when on Onion I cannot post/submit media at all, video nor pictures. So in other words, the upload script or whatever does not corporate with Onion.

1 Like

Same here with Windows 10, TB 11.5.7, Standard security level

/EDIT: Reddit is up, it’s working again for me.

1 Like

In my experience, Reddit is flaky. Sometimes I can access the website no problem through reddit.com. Other times, I also get the 504 error.

I’m not sure why it works and other times it doesn’t. I assumed it had to do with the geographic location of the Tor exit, but that’s normally what I assume when a website sometimes works and sometimes doesn’t. I haven’t dug any deeper into it.

Given that the onion service on Reddit works, I’ve gotten into the habit of just copying the URL path of the specific page I’m trying to access and replacing it with the onion domain and never had any problems there. However, I never login to Reddit, so I cannot speak about problems when logging into Reddit.

Logging in to Reddit I don’t have issues with when it comes to Onion but I cannot submit media or anything of that sort. It seems like such things are disabled but I can’t seem to find any way to change that.

Yea, seems to be working alright now again when I look. It remains to be seen if it lasts for the rest of the day and on but it was pretty much down for 3 days up until now. :slight_smile:

Lol after I sent my message, I started to do some testing to see if I could find some pattern as to when Reddit would fail and when it wouldn’t. It failed on the first test and was successful the next 15-20 tests, which isn’t representative of previous attempts, so I’m not quite sure what’s going on.

It may just be issues on Reddit’s end and there isn’t anything that can be done from a user perspective, but I really don’t know.

To be clear, you say ‘it seems to be working right now’. Are you saying everything is working? So you’re able to access Reddit at reddit.com over Tor and you can post when logged in to the onion service?

Looks like it’s not working anymore as of 10 minutes ago. It worked just fine for months until a week ago.

I’m seeing the same thing. I’m getting the same 504 errors as before. I reached out to them via their contact form. You may want to reach out to them as well. The more people that report it, the more likely they’ll look into it. Since you have an account, you can probably report a different way once you’re logged in.

My best guess is this is an issue on Reddit’s end and isn’t a Tor problem. Here’s information on an HTTP 504 from Mozilla:

Note: A Gateway might refer to different things in networking and a 504 error is usually not something you can fix, but requires a fix by the web server or the proxies you are trying to get access through.

My best guess is traffic to their non-onion service is routed differently than their onion service traffic. Something in the path on their non-onion service is the problem, which would be on Reddit’s end. Nothing the end user can do to resolve the problem.